Product Review: Fujitsu ScanSnap s1500
How Much: $400 - $500
Company: Fujitsu / Amazon.com
Who Would Buy This: The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 is for you if you want to organize your life by digitizing and saving receipts, business cards, and essential documents for electronic storage and retrieval.
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Gets Rave Reviews
Things we liked about the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500
The thing that got my attention during my research for a sheet-fed scanner was the sheer number of rave reviews the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 got. I was initially drawn to the NeatDesk Desktop Scanner because of the extensive TV advertising I had seen. But in the course of my research it became obvious to me that the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 might be a better alternative even though it was more expensive. There is a lot to like.
- Very fast at 20 ppm (even for color at 300 dpi)
- Simple one-button operation - launch from scanner or computer
- Compact and well-built - Small footprint takes up very little desk space.
- Simplex/Duplex scanning - Scans both sides simultaneously
- Searchable PDFs - Readily retrieve documents using keywords.
- Adobe® Acrobat® X Standard included ($75-$130 value)
- Color, grayscale, black & white scanning
- 600 x 600 bpi resolution
- Intelligent Scan Correction - De-skews crooked items, adjusts orientation and eliminates blank pages automatically.
Things we did not like about the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500
- Lack of TWAIN support means you cannot launch the scan operation from within another application, such as Photoshop, to scan directly into that application to work with the image there. The work-around in this case is to scan the image to JPG and move it to Photoshop to work with it. The lack of TWAIN drivers also means you cannot launch the scanner from within Adobe® Acrobat® to append new documents to existing document files. However, you can scan your new document creating a new PDF file and then use Adobe® Acrobat® to append the new document to an existing document. It's an extra step and in my opinion a minor inconvenience.
- The output tray has difficulty collecting the scanned items in an orderly fashion especially if the items are of mixed sizes. If you find this annoying try pre-sorting documents into batches of the same size.
- The ADF (automatic document feeder) is prone to jamming if you are not careful in loading. Gingerly load the documents for best results. Anything less than 20# weight may have to be individually fed.
Guarantee: Your Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 comes with a 1-Year Manufacturer's Limited Warranty.
Free Shipping: Amazon ships the Fujitsu ScanSnap s1500 for free with their Super Saver Shipping.
Is the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 worth the money?
The scan speed, product quality, and included Adobe® Acrobat® X Standard make the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 a good value. If you have lots of scanning to do, your productivity gains alone will justify the cost. If you order from Amazon, I recommend spending the extra $3o to get the software bundle which includes CardMinder business card software, ScanSnap Organizer, and ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap. Even though it is more than most people want to spend for a scanner, users are overwhelmingly convinced it is the best choice and worth the money.
Where Can I Buy the Fujitsu ScanSnap s1500?
Click here to buy the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 from Amazon. There you will be able to read reviews, both pro and con, by people who own the product and are using it in various application environments.
View this video by Fujitsu for an overview of the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500.